A 5-Step Process for Calming Your Anxious Mind (Mp3 recording)
*The “If you’re at work and forgot your ear buds” version 😉 :
A common subject of email I receive is along the lines of, “Help! My anxiety is out of control. I don’t know what to do to stop worrying. Can you help me?”
This is obviously a tall order for a short audio recording, or email response, and as a psychotherapist I recommend counseling.
If that is not doable, focus on the following steps:
- Slow, deep-breathing to slow your mind and body and prepare you for the next step, which is to:
- Examine your worries and replace them with healthier thoughts.
- Execute a plan of action, which will likely consist of utilizing coping skills different from what you’re doing now.
- Focus on what’s going right in your life. <–so important!
- Repeat these steps over and over until you bore your central nervous system.
Remember, anxiety is—above all—an over-reaction to stress and worry and an under-reaction to problem solving.
For more in-depth information, click the links below:
- Breathing meditation
- 100 Smart Ways to Calm an Anxious Mind
- Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy: A Fun Guide to Getting Better
- 30-Day Wellness Boot Camp (*updated version!)
Please pass along this resource on Facebook or Twitter using the share buttons below.
For the ‘live’ version of this message, check me out on Instagram 😉
Thanks for being here!